To apply for a College Student visa, CoE is required. Upload documents in Step 3 at T-cens once notified. Once CoE is issued by immigration, we'll email it for your visa application. Contact the embassy for details.
Required documents*Can be downloaded from Step 3
- CoE Application Form*
- Fill out Form 1, 2, and 3
- Attach the ID photo also
- Within 3 months, no background, no smile/teeth. Follow requirements
- must be different from passport photo.
- Signed AF1 pages
- download from Step 2, sign and upload all pages
- if the photo does not appear, leave it as it is
- Passport *upload in Step 2
- must be valid until the end of your exchange at UTokyo
- upload must clearly show the photo, passport number and full name
- if not available, have it ready by the time of visa application
- CoE Enquiries*
- provide the method of support to pay for expenses while in Japan
- Financial document(s)
- must be in English. If not, attach the translation (can be done by yourself)
- must have been issued no more than 6 months before your enrollment
- must have at least JPY150,000 per month of exchange (eg. JPY900,000 for 1 semester)
- If you will support yourself;
- upload your Bank Statement
- If you will be supported by your relative;
- upload his/her Bank Statement AND Affidavit of Financial Support
- Also, "公証書" is required for Chinese citizens excluding Taiwanese
- If you will be supported by a scholarship foundation,
- upload a Certificate of scholarship
UTokyo manages student halls but can't guarantee housing for all due to limited rooms. Arrange own accommodation if arriving before the semester starts. No early move-in allowed. Housing application info will be emailed in early January (April entry) / early July (October entry). Visit UTokyo Housing for details.
Having overseas travel insurance from your home country is recommended. UTokyo offers campus insurance free of charge. Additionally, you must join the National Health Insurance (approximately JPY10,000 for 6 months) at your local ward office within 14 days of moving to Japan. Refer here.
Arrange your own flights, but wait for confirmation (visa, housing, etc.) before booking. If you book in advance, have a cancellation option. Key dates will be shared as the semester approaches.